What do you mean by ‘don’t let your child be stateless’?

  • We encourage birth mothers /parents to give us the necessary information and documentation when they leave their baby in our hatch. This child cannot be registered without a birth certificate or other proof of identity and will, unfortunately, become “stateless”. A stateless child does not have the right to citizenship. He/she won’t be accepted into a school, is not eligible for an identity card, won’t get a job or be allowed to marry.
  • Birth certificates and other documentation left in a hatch are used strictly confidentially.