- Children raised in family-based care tend to be less inhibited socially, mentally and emotionally
- Children have increased self-confidence
- The child’s physical and emotional development improves
- The children can be part of the community
- Adoption could be an alternative to baby dumping
- Birth mothers receive parenting help
- Funds can be redirected to community centres that can protect a child and help the family
Family-based care will take root when Malaysians understand that raising children in institutions is harmful. OrphanCare is helping this paradigm shift through its programs and campaigns.
Source reference: Ending the Institutionalisation of Children in Malaysia, Lumos, 2014.