Understanding an adopted child
OrphanCare supports adoptive families and foster carers and their children as needed.
Challenges can surface at all stages of the interaction. OrphanCare encourages adoptive families to come back whenever necessary for advice and help.
Our team of skilled professionals employ international best practices on adoption to deliver specialist support throughout the adoption process; support that is available even after the child is entrenched in a family unit.
There are courses to help you through this process.
OrphanCare offers Parent Training courses to:
- Prospective adoptive parents
- Adoptive parents
- Foster carers
Course modules include:
- Parent training for adopted infants
- Parent training for older children and disabled children
- Parent training for foster children
Topics covered in the modules include:
- Healthy Brain Building
- The Primal Wound
- Grief and Loss
- Sensory Development
What support and training do I get?
- All prospective adoptive parents must complete a 1day compulsory training program when they apply. This training refreshes your parenting skills and manages expectations. The course will:
- Explain developmental trauma and attachment issues
- Over the long term it should help you understand and better appreciate your (adopted) child’s trauma (if any) and behaviour, the rationale behind our therapeutic approach and how your attitude and behaviour affect your child’s growth and development
- Make you better informed to more fruitfully engage with practitioners
- There are many opportunities to discuss your hopes, concerns and the practical implications of becoming adoptive parents with your case worker throughout the adoption approval process
- During the weeks and months and even after you become adoptive parents we help and support you in your decision-making process.
- Our adoption team tracks you through the first two years of a successful adoption. We are on hand to support and help deal with attachment or developmental issues
- In the pipeline are parenting workshops that will help with specific needs. Please subscribe to our newsletter, check our website or call OrphanCare for the latest developments
- We also provide opportunities to keep in touch, share experiences and link with other adoptive parents via social and networking events.