why we do this
Every child needs a family
Why we do this
We want children out of institutions and cared for by families. This vision drives OrphanCare.
We believe children have the right to love, security, shelter, health and education as enshrined in Malaysia’s Child Act (Amendment) 2016 and the United Nation’s Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC). The damage caused by institutions makes us passionate about our mission. Unfortunate circumstances can be mitigated by good policies and determined action.
One day we won’t need OrphanCare. There will no longer be babies abandoned and no children placed in institutions.
To give institutionalised children and abandoned babies in Malaysia the love, care and security of a family
- Create awareness of the negative effects of children growing up in institutions
- End the institutionalisation of children
- Work with the government and stakeholders to transform child care in Malaysia into a system that nurtures and prospers children and their families
- Help the government and stakeholders strengthen family and community based services to support children and their families
- To change society’s views about orphans and women dealing with unplanned pregnancies
- Reduce or end the practice of abandoning babies
Our strategic approach
- To collaborate and work in partnership with the general public, civil society, corporations and government
- Advocate the deinstitutionalisation of children
- Operate baby hatches to save the lives of unplanned, at-risk newborn babies
- Offer counselling services to women trying to manage unplanned pregnancies